Have you ever been near a window inside your home when the sunshine was coming in just right and saw little particles floating in the air? I’m sorry to tell you that this isn’t just dirt… and that there is a lot more lurking in those little particles (carcinogens, hormone disruptors, bacteria, developmental toxins), which go right into your body every time you breathe.
Even if your house is super clean and although you can’t always see these particles in the air, we’ve all got some level of dust in our home – which is just the reality of modern day life, full of industrial chemicals. Everyday household items like your furniture, carpets, flooring, window shades, cleaning products, beauty products, paint, clothing, and beds, are emitting microscopic chemicals into the air, which float around and settle onto surfaces as dust.
Researchers at George Washington University tested household dust samples and found 45 toxic chemicals, many of which were floating in the air before settling on the ground and other surfaces as dust. They found everything ranging from flame retardants, fluorinated chemicals, and phthalates. Breaking new research has found that some of these particles can alter hormones, triggering the body to store fat.
Who’d ever think that household dust could be quietly sabotaging your weight!? It’s crazy, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
While outdoor air pollution has been classified as a carcinogen (causes cancer) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer – the air we breathe inside of our homes can be even worse! The EPA says that indoor air pollution is about 2 to 5 times greater than the air outside, and is sometimes 100 times worse than the air you breathe outside. I was shocked when I found that out!
Many of these pollutants are also developmental toxins, and now that I have a little one at home who will be crawling soon, this is one of my #1 concerns. The last thing I want is for my daughter to crawl around on flooring contaminated with toxic dust and breathing in these chemicals. Her tiny body is more susceptible to these toxic invaders.
“The findings suggest that people, and especially children, are exposed on a daily basis to multiple chemicals in dust that are linked to serious health problems” ~ lead study author Ami Zota at The George Washington University
What’s in household air that could be quietly harming your health…
- Microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungus. These can cause sickness in the body and mold to grow in your house. Exposure to mold is related to increased risk of allergies and asthma.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (also known as “VOC”), which are emitted from common household items like furniture. Some VOCs are known to cause cancer such as benzene, formaldehyde, and acetone.
- One of the most common chemicals found in household dust is TDCPP (a flame retardant), which is neurotoxic, an endocrine disruptor, and a reproductive toxicant that is also linked to cancer.
- Microscopic particles from industrial pollution, agricultural chemicals, car exhaust, and smoke, which increase the risk of birth defects, lung cancer, asthma, and other lung diseases.
- Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, was found by researchers in most outdoor air samples tested. How much of this ends up inside your house? This chemical is a “probable carcinogen”.
- Ultrafine particles that have the ability to penetrate deeply into the lungs which can lead to inflammation and may penetrate other organs in the body, such as the brain. These particles are linked to increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Phthalates emitted from shower curtains, fragrances, vinyl floors, and plastic toys. These are linked to cancer and weight gain. Children are at increased risk of respiratory, behavioral and neurodevelopmental problems if they are regularly exposed to phthalates.
Here’s how to protect yourself and everyone that lives in your home…
- Stop using products with added fragrances, parabens, or phthalates. Check your beauty products for hazardous chemicals on the EWG Skin Deep database.
- Replace plastic containers with glass and stainless steel.
- Dust surfaces in your home with a damp cloth, mop floors, and vacuum often.
- Get some indoor plants. Certain plants have been shown to help clean the air of VOCs. Some plants that are most effective are the Dracaena and Bromeliad.
- Replace plastic toys that may contain phthalates with those that are made with non-toxic materials.
- Invest in a high quality air purifier for your home.
If you wouldn’t drink unfiltered water, why would you breathe unfiltered air?
Even if I’m eating the purest, most organic food in the world and drinking the cleanest filtered water around, I know that the air I breathe is just as important! I started using this air purifier in my home and cannot believe the difference in how well I feel and sleep.
We obviously can’t all live in a bubble, but we should do our best to make sure the environment we live in isn’t toxic. Using this air purifier has really given me the peace of mind that the air in my home is safe, especially for my daughter!
Here’s why I love the Intellipure:
- It’s more effective than HEPA filters because it can trap particles as small as .007 microns (HEPA filters only filter down to .3 microns). This means it is more effective at trapping dangerous microscopic particles and VOCs.
- Their patented DFS (Disinfecting Filtration System) is super powerful, removing 99% of harmful viruses, fungi, molds, and bacteria from the air.
- Unlike HEPA filters, it doesn’t trap viruses and bacteria that can multiply and cause secondary pollution. The Intellipure technology kills them so that they do not accumulate.
- It’s super quiet and sounds like light white noise while I sleep. This is a very important aspect to me!
- It’s easy to maintain.
- It’s on wheels! This is awesome because I’m able move it around the house during the day.
- It’s very energy-efficient, using only about 1 watt per hour when in low or sleep mode (which is how I usually use it). So you won’t rack up a big electricity bill!
- It’s made right here in America and they offer free shipping on orders over $200 within the continental U.S (excludes Hawaii and Alaska)
- They have 6-month interest-free financing available through PayPal.
If you know anyone who would like tips to help clean up their air, please share this post with them. Let’s help everyone live in a less toxic world!
By Food Babe.
Disclaimer: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Intellipure is supporting hundreds of medical and educational facilities. We have needed to increase our production and source our products from our other various wholly-owned manufacturing facilities around the world. Each unit is still inspected, individually tested, and certified in our Pulaski, New York manufacturing facility prior to shipment to ensure our quality and performance standards are met 100%.