Why Everyone Needs an Air Purifier In Their Home and We Found the Perfect One
It’s no secret our air quality outside is inundated with pollution. What many don’t consider is that some of the most harmful air can be found inside your home. The problem is that our indoor areas have little to no ventilation, and therefore are more susceptible to trapping pollutants. Once these tiny microbe sized particles are inhaled, they can have numerous and diverse effects on our health. Dust is a particle more commonly found in our homes than outside of them. The problem with dust is that it acts as a magnet to bacteria, viruses, and dust mites, all of which can lead to allergic reactions and serious health complications and flu viral infections.
Officials from the World Health Organization state that air pollution is the ‘new tobacco,’ warning that the simple act of breathing, is killing 7 million people a year and harming billions more. Additionally, air pollution contributes to 1 in 9 deaths globally. Luckily, there are ways of reducing indoor air quality issues. A high-quality air purifier can remove airborne toxicants in your home and therefore is your best defense against all airborne pollutants.
We’ve come up with eight science-backed reasons everyone needs an air purifier along with our top pick, including the benefits that we’re experiencing after a three-month test. We provided you with a discount link and code (Zuri) making it easier for you to make your home a safe place to sit back relax and take a deep breath!
8 Reasons Everyone Needs An Air Purifier:
- Outdoor pollutants can easily get trapped indoors.
The Environmental Protection agency rates air pollution as the number one environmental risk factors facing humans! To combat the risks of air pollution they recommend:
- Eliminate the source of pollution
- Dilute the air when possible
- Clean the air with a high-quality portable air purifier
- Ward off allergic reactions to prevent future symptoms.
Allergens in the air such as pet dander, pollen, and dust may be causing you to have allergic reactions. More than half of the people reported in a survey completed in the U.S. indicated that they had positive reactions to one or more allergens. Furthermore, hay fever affects between 10% to 30% of all adults in the U.S. and as many as 40% of children. Poor air quality in the home, including particulate matter, exacerbates allergies, asthma, and other respiratory infections. If you are one of the millions of Americans that suffer from seasonal allergies, you must clean the air inside your home. Most allergy sufferers resort to using controversial medications to alleviate symptoms and prevent asthmatic reactions, however by removing the source, to begin with, you can fix the issue before it becomes one.
- Indoor air is filled with chemicals used inside the home. Indoor air pollutants can be 2-5x higher than outdoor levels and 3.8 million people die every year from exposure to household air pollution (WHO). Ultrafine particles found in furniture, building materials, and cleaning chemicals can reach deep into the small airways of the body and deposit on the alveoli. These ultrafine particles are linked to stroke, cardiovascular disease, lung disease, and cancer. As a result of constant exposure, chemicals used in paints, sprays, solvents, bleaches, and oils can cause respiratory complications and trigger pulmonary irritation. The risk is higher if these products produce vapors.
What are some of these indoor chemicals and where are they hiding?
- Polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) & Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), found in products that contain plastic, including furniture, electronics, and anything with plastic foam.
- Polyurethane, used to help prevent the wood from getting water damage.
- Formaldehyde, found in the adhesive of carpets, plywood paneling, and upholstery.
- Toluene, found in paint thinners, nail polish, glues, inks and stain removers. The most common hazard associated with this chemical is inhalation. Products containing toluene can produce dangerous fumes, which can cause nausea, headaches, unconsciousness, and even death if inhaled.
- Asbestos, found in building materials. Asbestos can cause mesothelioma, deadly cancer that deeply affects the lungs, amongst other cancers and illnesses. If asbestos is found, contractors have to use HAZMAT suits to remove it from the premises and the air must be cleansed.
Long exposure of these indoor pollutants leads to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity occurs when an individual’s long exposure to multiple chemicals, present in indoor air.
- Registered pesticides have made their way into your home.
Did you know that antibacterial sprays contain a registered pesticide? Once these disinfectants are sprayed they can remain in the air. Inhaling a pesticide has a direct effect on the respiratory system. Recent research suggests that even low levels of pesticide exposure can affect young children’s neurological and behavioral development. Another study suggests that 80 percent of most people’s exposure to pesticides occurs indoors and that measurable levels of up to a dozen pesticides have been found in the air inside homes. Even if you don’t directly use these products, other pesticides used by your neighbors can easily get tracked in and trapped indoors. A recent study in New York found that residents unknowingly brought pesticides in their homes, on the bottom of their shoes, and by leaving doors and windows open. The suggestion to prevent pesticides from drifting into your home was to use an air filter and to remove your shoes upon entering the house. The EPA reports that pesticide residue has a “widespread presence” in your home. To eliminate this danger, we suggest that you replace your toxic cleaners by using our clean home guide and of course, invest in an air filter designed to combat indoor pesticide pollution.
- Second-hand cigarette smoke is lethal. Cigarettes contain an estimated 200 poisons and are one of the top indoor air pollutants. Limiting smoking outside can be an easy fix but what if your neighbor is smoking indoors. Whether or not you can smell it, apartment and office building vents shared with smoking neighbors cannot dilute the harmful effects of second-hand smoke. Air purifiers can dilute the pollutants in the air and help you
- Dangerous indoor air can cause a multitude of health conditions for children.
Children with poor air quality are especially susceptible to long-term problems such as asthma, allergies, learning disabilities, higher risks of childhood cancer and cardiovascular disease. Essential items like mattresses, bedding, stuffed animals, flooring, and plastic toys, can release chemicals into the air in what is referred to as “off-gassing.” Consider the fact that children spend about 90% of their time indoors, and more than a third of that time playing and sleeping in their bedrooms. If you don’t have an air filter in your home, our children’s lungs become the filter.
- Prevent hidden mold and mildew from growing and harming your health. Sometimes we can smell that “wet mop sent,” that strongly suggests that mold is present, however, oftentimes mold cannot be detected because it grows in damp areas, hidden beneath floorboards, behind walls and in air-ducts. Water damage is very common in homes, apartments and office buildings. According to industry estimates, 14,000 people in the U.S. experience water damage emergency at home or work each day, and 98% of basements in the U.S. will suffer from some type of water damage during their lifetime. Water damage often leads to mold and can cause numerous health problems. In particular black mold is extremely dangerous if inhaled as the spores can cause serious health conditions. The most common black mold exposure symptoms are chronic coughing and sneezing, eye irritation, irritation of the mucus membranes in the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue, and persistent headaches. Black mold poisoning can produce mycotoxins, which can disturb human health. Furthermore, if you’re a parent, University of Cincinnati researchers say exposure to a certain group of fungal spores abundant in the air that we breathe every day, can make young children more susceptible to developing multiple allergies later in life. There are several steps you should take to eliminate and reduce mold exposure and installing an air purifier is highly effective.
- Diseases thrive in poor quality indoor air conditions.
New data reveals a stronger link between indoor and outdoor air pollution exposure and cardiovascular diseases, such as strokes and ischemic heart disease, as well as some cancers. Emissions from second-hand smoke, heavy traffic, and nearby industrial facilities are capable of causing diseases ranging from bronchitis to tumors that can lead to cancer. The number one cancer killer in the U.S. is lung cancer. Here is a list of the most common diseases that are contracted through pathogens in the air:
- Common Cold (Rhinovirus)
- Influenza (Flu)
- Chickenpox (Varicella Zoster)
- Mumps (Rubulavirus)
- Measles (Morbillivirus)
- Whooping Cough (Pertussis)
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
- Anthrax (Bacillus Anthracis)
- Diphtheria (Corynebacterium Diphtheriae)
- Meningitis (Meningococcus)
- Cancer (Bronchus) (Non-small cell lung cancer)
In addition to these common diseases, autoimmune diseases are on the rise. Autoimmune diseases are brought on from the body attacking its own cells. Those suffering from autoimmune disorders then become more prone to pulmonary diseases such as tuberculosis and pneumonia. By sifting out probable disease-causing pathogens and reducing the number of particles that can cause irritation to your immune system, it becomes easier to manage various autoimmune complications.
Not All Air Purifiers Are Created Equal, And Why We’d Never Recommend A HEPA Filter.
Most consumers opt to buy a HEPA filtration system because they’ve been told that it’s the best product, however, there is a hidden problem. HEPA filters might be good for trapping 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns in size. This includes a large variety of bacteria since these microorganisms range in size from 0.2 to 10 microns. Viruses, on the other hand, are about 100 times smaller than bacteria and can be anywhere between 0.004 to 0.1 microns in size. So, HEPA filters miss these types of pathogens. Additionally, while traditional HEPA filters can trap bacteria, they can also become a breeding ground for bacterial growth. And, if you forget to replace a clogged filter, some bacteria may eventually penetrate the HEPA filter and flow back into your home. So, if you are on a budget, we strongly suggest you avoid the HEPA and invest in a higher-performing air purifier.
Our top pick for total home filtration is Intellipure®.
Watch this short video to understand more or continue reading this section.
Utilizing technology developed through a United States Military Grant, the professional, multistage air cleaning system by Intellipure® is the most effective air cleaner on the market. Intellipure machines are the only air cleaners on the market that address all 3 pollutant categories. Their patented Disinfecting Filtration System (DFS) technology uses a high-energy grid, creating microbiostasis conditions, which prevents anything from being able to live or grow inside the filter. The DFS technology allows them to capture and destroy 99.99% of all particles down to 0.007 micron in size.
- Deactivates mold, bacteria, and virus in the filters through Microbiostasis condition, which prohibits the breed through effect, where living organisms captured can grow inside the filter and be released back into the environment
- Proprietary blend of granulars proven to adsorb a high level of gases and odors in the home with >90% removal efficiency on Formaldehyde and >95% removal efficiency on Toluene
- Greater lifetime filter performance due to lower pressure drop
- Reduction of dangerous Microplastics
- Cleans considerably more air and larger spaces than most air purifiers. 1200 square foot air cleaning capacity 2x per hour = (150x per day in a 1200 sq. foot space)
- Highest-quality EC motor results in 50% less operating cost than other machines on the market
- Incredibly energy efficient, using only 5 Watts per hour on low speed
- The quietest air purifier of its kind, with the highest CFM per decibel level of noise in its category
- Less dense media filters span the full height of the machine for maximum airflow and filtration power
- Lightweight, compact, portable construction
- Designed for quick and easy filter maintenance and replacement
- “Sleep Mode,” which dims all lights on the machine
- Made in the USA
- Individually tested and certified, guaranteed to be more efficient than HEPA
You can truly count on the Intellipure Ultrafine 468 to capture and remove harmful viruses, mold, fungi, and bacteria, leaving nothing but fresh, pure, healthy air inside your home. These devices are even recommended by doctors. Listen to this short video referral from Dr. Robert Kiltz, where he talks about the importance of breathing healthy, clean air using the Intellipure.
Why We Purchased An Air Purification System From Intellipure
When we moved from L.A. to a remote piece of property in Vermont, we didn’t worry about the air quality outside. During the spring, summer, and fall months we allowed our houseplants and the neighboring trees to clean the air that flowed through our open windows. But when the winter hit, our windows were locked shut and we weren’t going to be able to depend on our houseplants to take care of our air quality. During our first winter, we began to experience various symptoms of indoor pollutants. Our house, like many East Coast homes, doesn’t have central air and heat and instead uses multiple heat sources that produce unwanted pollutants. So, before we made our purchase, we did our investigation. There is so much confusion in the air filtration marketplace and every dealer claimed that they had the “best product.” I scoured through reviews and comparisons and came across one of our friend’s Max from Living Maxwell and his videos comparing Intellipure to other well-known brands, Molekule and Dyson. You can watch them here and here. I decided to look into Intellipure based upon these startling comparison reviews. After watching these videos. It was undeniable that Intellipure® was outperforming one of the same machines I was planning to purchase.
The Intellipure Ultrafine 468 is the larger unit. We placed it on the main floor of our house where we spend the bulk of our time in winter. This unit cleaned the air in a bedroom, an office, a bathroom, a large open concept living room, dining room, kitchen, and then a separate mudroom at the front of the house. Once we turned it on we noticed a drastic difference in the freshness of the air during that stale winter day. During our frigid winters, the main heat source we use is an efficient wood-burning stove. In addition to our wood-burning stove, we have a boiler that uses oil to heat the bottom level of the house and our water. In researching these heat sources and side effects we found that burning fuels such as dung, wood, and coal in inefficient stoves or open hearths produces a variety of health-damaging pollutants, including particulate matter (PM), methane, carbon monoxide, polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and volatile organic compounds (VOC). Our wood-burning stove and oil burner are meticulously maintained and yet, even with the most efficient heating systems, particulate matter is a health concern. In addition to our concerns about the heating contaminants, we also have two dogs and three cats that live indoors in the winter months. Pet hair and dander was another concern that we could not ignore. During the winter we had without the air purifier, we could not go a day without having to vacuum in order to take a deep breath. With the Intellipure Ultrafine 468 we enjoyed how drastically improved the air quality was on the main floor of our home.
The second Intellipure device we purchased was the Intellipure Compact. We placed this one in the lower level of the house which contains our home gym, utility closet (with a boiler, water heater, well pump, oil tanks, etc.), a laundry room, a pet room (where our dogs have access to go out and bark at all of Vermont’s creatures), a bathroom and a game room, where our teen likes to lounge and hang with friends. Because our gym is next to the utility closet there was always a slight smell and a worry that the air in the gym was not as clean as it could be. The other issue was the smell of laundry, even though we use non-toxic, fragrance-free cleaners when washing, there was still a smell from the dryer and washer on occasion that we didn’t like. To learn more about how we take care of our house without toxin cleaners please click here. The cat boxes were stored in this area and anyone with cats can tell you that this is the worst and smelliest part of being cat owners. But, after we employed the Intellipure Compact on this floor we noticed that the air was crisp, clean, and free of odors. While using the bottom floor, we no longer sneezed or felt low energy, and instead, we enjoyed the type of activities we wanted to do down there. The Intellipure made that whole floor a brand new environment for all of us to enjoy.
The third device was another Intellipure Compact we put in our top floor which contains our master bedroom, master bath, master closets, and a loft where Mike writes, practices yoga and meditates. The major difference both of us noticed right away is that we didn’t wake up with any congestion from dust or particles. Instead, the air felt constantly cleaned up by the Intellipure. Because the Intellipure has a night mode, it is extremely quiet. We require a quiet and dark room to slumber in and because we live in a remote area without any outside nighttime noises, we are highly sensitive to noises. Since we spend 30 percent of our lives sleeping, this was a no brainer to ensure that the air we breathe while sleeping is absolutely pure and free from dangerous microbes. If you live, 75 years, that’s 25 years, or 9,125 days spent sleeping. Shouldn’t that precious chunk of life be spent breathing in the best air possible?
Our Full Review Of Intellipure”s Air Filters After Three Months of Use.
We ordered the three machines and within a week they arrived at our remote house. They were extremely easy to open and unwrap and then we plugged them in and instantly noticed a difference. Watch our unboxing video here. We used them for three months to give us enough time to really track any differences. We performed this experiment through winter when we cannot open a window or even a door for more than a couple of seconds, so we counted on Intellipure to do all that it promised. We are happy to report that it didn’t let us down and exceeded our expectations.
Both renters and homeowners can use these devices. For most renters, there is little to no control over the air quality especially in apartments with shared vents. Renters are subjected to an environment that may contain low-quality paints and furnishing that can, off-gas, and cause health problems. Intellipure can clean a 1200 square foot area. The devices are portable and the larger unit can be rolled from one area to the next, making both of them an ideal purchase for renters.
When it’s workout time, we simply carry it into the gym, when it’s time for bed we carry them into our bedrooms. These machines are so efficient, they can clean the whole floor without moving them anywhere, but when you want to close the door, easily roll or carry them anywhere.
We work from home and we found that our workflow was more concentrated and we had more energy since buying the Intellipure. The most notable improvement is that Zuri didn’t get her two-day sinus headaches once a month. This meant that the Intellipure devices were likely reducing either an odor, contaminant, dust, or air particles that were triggering these headaches. Zuri is sensitive to mold and when we found out that Intellipure deactivates mold, which means that new mold won’t be able to grow in the home, it made us more confident in the investment. During the home-buying process, we had the home inspected for mold and they didn’t detect any issues so this ensures us that mold will not be able to grow in our home thanks to the Intellipure devices we purchased.
Lastly, Zuri noted that as a singer, she had fewer issues with phlegm when warming up her voice for performances or recordings. All of these health improvements for the family made us really excited to share these devices.
The other notable difference was an improvement for an allergy sufferer. Nobody in our house suffers from allergies other than Zuri’s sensitivity to mold, so we decided to invite a friend over that is allergic to pet dander to see if they noticed a difference in the air quality. We always vacuum and dust the entire house in preparation, but regardless of our efforts, this friend still required medication to enjoy time at our home. After a month of having the Intellipure devices operating, they enjoyed their visit without taking their medication or a lengthy visit to the bathroom for a sneezing fit. This guest is one of our favorite friends and knowing that they can now come over without hesitation and enjoy themselves in our home is worth its weight in gold. Pet dander is a common allergy and can slowly build up within the lungs, which can develop into major issues later on. With the Intellipure purifier, you’ll be able to sift out all these dangerous particles.
Our previous home in California was in a fire zone, a constant construction zone, and near a freeway with an attached garage. All of these factors can lead to poor indoor air quality. We had a whole-house air purification system from another company and still had health issues. The house had central air and heat and if we still lived there, we would absolutely invest in the Ultrafine Whole House Air Cleaner.
If you’re not sure what type of system to get, the team at Intellipure will guide you based upon your current needs. We simply told them what our concerns were and the layout of our house and their recommendations were spot on.
Lastly, each Intellipure Ultrafine 468 is handcrafted and made in the USA in upstate New York. Intellipure is absolutely one of my favorite companies to work with because they stand by their products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and easy financing options via PayPal Credit. If you’d like to spread out the payments for the machine, the company offers no-interest financing for 6 months. Prior to shipping, each unit is individually tested and certified by a technician to ensure it meets and exceeds the Intellipure promise of 99.99% efficiency down to 0.007 microns. Intellipure’s patented DFS technology is currently used in hospitals, medical clean rooms, government buildings, and military applications. But, don’t just take our word for it, check out their site to see other testimonials from doctors and celebrities. You may even recognize another person you trust using these fantastic air purifiers.
Original Blog Written by Zuri Star, I Am Zuri
Disclaimer: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Intellipure is supporting hundreds of medical and educational facilities. We have needed to increase our production and source our products from our other various wholly-owned manufacturing facilities around the world. Each unit is still inspected, individually tested, and certified in our Pulaski, New York manufacturing facility prior to shipment to ensure our quality and performance standards are met 100%.